Bike Stand Part II – The GRIP!

So after some thinking and input from some people, I finally figured out a solution on the clamp on my bike stand. As you recall from previous posts, I was struggling to find a way to clamp the bikes into the stand and not have them twist and turn while clamped. In order to do this, I came up with the idea of taking an old bike tube and cutting it into sizable chunks then laying it over the wood blocks that I cut out for holding the seat posts.

I went to my local bike shop and they gave me a weird look when I asked for some old mountain bike tubes but after explaining what I was doing, the guy was really interested and asked me how I made it. I think he might make one, thats how pumped he was to hear about it.

Anyways, When I got back to the house, I found out that it was not going to be as easy as planned. Long story short, after fitting and trying to size it up multiple times, the old blocks just were not going to work. I made new block and then cut the tubes to size and made relief slits on top so the rubber would fold flat against the wood.

and the test…. YES! It works! I can now crank on the bike if need be (crank pulling (no pun intended), bottom bracket removal, etc).

I forgot to take a pic of the wood block so I will do those once I get the chance and just add it onto this post.

DIY Project 1= check!